About Alliantist and ISMS.online
At Alliantist we love simplifying the complex and sharing our knowledge in easy-to-use ways. We’re obsessed with making things better, but only when it’s useful for our customers. We’re open, honest and approachable, and we do our best to be there for everyone.
Our flagship SaaS product is ISMS.online, an all-in-one-place management system for information security, privacy, business continuity and other compliance work.
This role would be joining a stable and well established team building and developing ISMS.online and our other product offerings.
We’re looking for an experienced Kubernetes and AWS infrastructure engineer with Linux system administration skills to join our fast growing, entrepreneurial business, operating in one of the most exciting SaaS markets. The opportunity for growth is significant and we’re looking for people who can help us take ISMS.online to the next level.
This role is remote with the possibility to be on-site if you live near our offices in Brighton, East Sussex.
As this role will also interact with our government hosted platform this position is only open to UK residents. The successful candidate will be required to undergo SC security clearance vetting.
In this role you will
- Perform ongoing maintenance and system administration of the platform.
- Work with our Senior Systems Engineer on improvements to infrastructure and architecture.
- Creating and maintaining infrastructure documentation.
- Maintain and expand the tooling developers use (scripts, etc.)
- Use your experience to make improvements and suggestions where things can be done better. We want someone who will help shape our future direction, not just maintain the status quo.
- Cover for the Senior Systems Engineer when they are unavailable.
How we work
We operate a just-in-time agile model and our team is self organising once work has been identified and prioritised. Daily collaboration is via standups, JIRA boards and ad-hoc video calls as needed.
We value openness and idea sharing.
Knowledge sharing is through code review, team meetings (mostly virtual) and presentations. We welcome presentations about topics of interest that are work related.
We have a strong test suite and automatic builds. Deployments happen frequently, often with several a day.
Given the development team is mostly remote we hold meetups from time to time. These will resume once things are safe post COVID.
Some of the technical things we’re solving
- Deploying multiple instances of the application internationally.
- Migrating file storage from NFS to S3.
- Speeding up the CI build for our large test suite for the platform.
- Making the capacity of the platform elastic based on current load.
- Building a robust and effective system for continuous deployments.
- Monitoring and alerting for application events.
- Increasing observability of the platform and services.
Main technologies we use
Our platform is a Ruby on Rails application running on kubernetes in AWS.
- Ruby on Rails
- Kubernetes and docker
- Haskell for some internal tools
Your skills and experience
- Have a good grasp of the security concerns involved in the infrastructure part of running a web application.
- Have strong attention to detail.
- Have a good feel for when deeper investigation is required, pursuing issues until they have been satisfactorily resolved.
- Be available (within reason) in the event that an issue occurs out of work hours.
Must have knowledge and experience:
- Kubernetes and Docker
- Infrastructure as code (preferably Terraform)
- Serverless technologies (preferably AWS Lambda)
- Shell scripting
- Relational databases administration including use of replication (preferably MySQL and AWS Aurora)
Nice to have:
- Certification in AWS or kubernetes
- Familiarity with ISO 27001 or other security standards
- Experience with Ruby
- Experience deploying Ruby on Rails applications
- Experience with:
- Continuous integration and deployment
- Microsoft 365
Benefits of working for ISMS.online
- Attractive base salary based on experience (full time)
- Bonus based on individual and organisation performance
- Company pension contributions
- Access to our share options when the scheme launches later in 2021
- 28 days holiday (inc bank holidays), increasing up to 34 over time
- Cycle to work scheme
- Childcare vouchers
- Onsite parking
- Office beverages and socials
- Casual dress
Note: We are an ISO 27001 certified organisation, trusted by our customers, partners and others for what we do. All appointments are therefore subject to Baseline Personnel Security Standards checks and other popular employment checks, e.g. references that help demonstrate you are the right person for us.
This role will also interact with our government hosted platform. As a result this position is only open to UK residents. The successful candidate will be required to undergo SC security clearance vetting.
By applying you give consent for us to process your information in line with GDPR and the Data Protection Act 2018.