About Alliantist and ISMS.online
At Alliantist we love simplifying the complex and sharing our knowledge in easy-to-use ways. We’re obsessed with making things better, but only when it’s useful for our customers. We’re open, honest and approachable, and we do our best to be there for everyone.
Our flagship SaaS product is ISMS.online; an all-in-one-place management system for information security, privacy, business continuity and other compliance work.
This role would be joining a stable and well established team building and developing ISMS.online and our other product offerings.
We’re looking for an experienced back-end developer with some skills and experience in front-end development to join our fast growing, entrepreneurial business, operating in one of the most exciting SaaS markets. The opportunity for growth is significant and we’re looking for people who can help us take ISMS.online to the next level.
You will join a team of 6 developers and will be responsible for developing our main application and its supporting services. Your ideas and experience will help shape the future of the platform.
This role is remote with the possibility to be on-site if you live near our offices in Brighton, East Sussex.
In this role you will:
- Develop new features for our flagship platform and maintain existing features. This will mix both back-end and front-end development.
- Design and develop new architecture and review existing architecture as needed for both the back-end and front-end of the platform.
- Write high quality, secure and well tested code.
- Use your experience to make improvements and suggestions where things can be done better. We want someone who will help shape our future direction, not just maintain the status quo.
- Work with the lead front-end developer to evolve and maintain our library of UI components.
How we work
We operate a just-in-time agile model and our team is self organising once work has been identified and prioritised. Daily collaboration is via standups, JIRA boards and ad-hoc video calls as needed.
We value openness and idea sharing.
Knowledge sharing is through code review, team meetings (mostly virtual) and presentations. We welcome presentations about topics of interest that are work related.
We have a strong test suite and automatic builds. Deployments happen frequently, often with several a day.
Given the development team is mostly remote we hold meetups from time to time. These will resume once things are safe post COVID.
Some of the technical things we’re solving
- How to deliver APIs that fit within useful customer workflows.
- Potential to use service oriented architecture or other approaches to compartmentalising the application.
- Performance and scaling for exponential growth of our user base
- Exploring the various options for applying types to Ruby code to make it more robust, easy to change and self-documenting.
Main technologies we use
Our platform is a majestic monolith built on Ruby on Rails and running on kubernetes in AWS.
- Ruby on Rails
- Kubernetes and docker
- Haskell for some internal tools
Your skills and experience
Software engineering and Ruby on Rails
- Substantial commercial experience building web applications
- Competence in Ruby on Rails and strong skills in Ruby and Object Orientated design
- Knowledge and experience of HTML and CSS
- Experience writing structured JS code
- Real world experience structuring applications using established design patterns
- Appreciation of functional programming concepts and experience of their application
- Experience of testing a Rails application from low to high level
- Knowledge of SQL and database concepts
- Experience of Git
Nice to have:
- Familiarity with ISO 27001 or other security standards
- Experience of
- REST APIs and GraphQL
- NoSQL structured storage
- SAML SSO and or SCIM
- Experience with a modern JS framework (e.g. React)
- Experience with ‘type-safe’ JS (e.g. TypeScript)
- Knowledge of CoffeeScript
Benefits of working for ISMS.online
- Attractive base salary based on experience (full time)
- Bonus based on individual and organisation performance
- Company pension contributions
- Access to our share options when the scheme launches later in 2021
- 28 days holiday (inc bank holidays), increasing up to 34 over time
- Cycle to work scheme
- Childcare vouchers
- Onsite parking
- Office beverages and socials
- Casual dress
Note: We are an ISO 27001 certified organisation, trusted by our customers, partners and others for what we do. All appointments are therefore subject to Baseline Personnel Security Standards checks and other popular employment checks, e.g. references that help demonstrate you are the right person for us.
By applying you give consent for us to process your information in line with GDPR and the Data Protection Act 2018.