Note – Opexo is now part of ISMS.online
Your personal profile
In order to use opexo you only need to have your email address and password (although we strongly recommend 2 factor authentication is turned on as well -see below). opexo enables collaboration and sharing amongst colleagues internally and externally, so we also suggest that you complete the other parts of your personal profile too. This includes:
- Role – letting people know your role helps them be clear on what work you should be involved in and how you might contribute.
- Picture – Putting a face to a name shows who you are to others and helps build trust – it doesn’t have to be a photo of you (unless your company policy dictates otherwise).
- Phone – Adding your contact phone number – make sure people know how to get hold of you by phone, especially if you are collaborating with external colleagues and your number is not already well known to them.
- Biography – it’s much more of a nice to have, but can also be helpful when you are working with external parties that don’t know your background – and you can always add a hyperlink to your Linkedin page if easier!
The importance of setting up your 2 factor authentication (2FA)
Unlike some other service providers in this space we take security seriously so have invested heavily for your protection and privacy. Alongside the organisation security settings for passwords, timeouts, access and administration settings for work initiatives, we have also included 2 factor authentication at no additional cost. We believe you should not pay a premium for better security.
Whilst it is optional for each user to set-up their own 2FA, we strongly recommend it to further protect your platform activity and the information in it. Each user can set-up their 2FA quickly by going to their name in the top right, then selecting ‘my preferences’ from the drop down menu. Within the privacy and security area of the preferences page there is a link for set up of the 2FA. That is very easy to follow, done inside minutes, similar to most 2FA processes in business and consumer use. You’ll need a time-based authenticator App such as Google Authenticator on another device e.g. your mobile smart phone.
Users and opexo administrators can easily deactivate 2FA from the same preferences area in future if there are issues e.g. loss of authenticator or change of device.
Notifications and emails
Opexo has on-platform notifications for work you are involved in. You see these notifications through the updates feed, in your to do list and within the specific work initiatives themselves.
The platform (and your colleagues) can also notify you by sending an email notification too. This is ideal if your default behaviour is to manage your work from emails received. Notifications received by email include work set or raised by others for you e.g. to dos such as tasks, track items and project activity work as well as discussions and recorded notes. You can also set your own reminders too which notify you by email at the relevant time e.g. for track items, risks and policy reviews.
Depending on your role and frequency for receiving communications you can set your email notification preferences in your preferences area. Simply go to your name in the top right, select ‘my preferences’ from the menu drop down and select the appropriate email notification frequency from the options available.
- Remember that whilst the platform is sending you notifications, other than your automated reminders, it is your colleagues that are choosing to do that notification. Therefore we suggest you agree a basic ‘user etiquette’ on what each other should be notified about as part of your general platform adoption. As with email generally, too much communication is just noise and doesn’t get acted on. For example, if you are recording a risk, policy or supplier note update, do those team members need to know that immediately, or can they just update themselves when they next log in? If they need to know at that point the note is added, simply choose to notify them then and an email will be triggered too. If not, just record the note and it’s there for the future use without them being interrupted by email!
- We suggest you keep to instant email notifications. If however you choose to have less frequent email notifications yourself e.g. by selecting the daily or weekly digest, and are not always working on the platform, just make sure that your colleagues are not expecting a more immediate response. Otherwise they will probably chase you via other channels and duplicate your or their work!