An ISMS is for life, not just for Christmas, so adopt a sustainable approach.
What is the best way to achieve ISMS success?
We have considered the threats & opportunities, where benefits might arise, and the stakeholder’s expectations from the ISMS. That has led to the ISMS deliverables and what work needs to get done as part of the solution.
As long as the organisation is serious about security and goes beyond the tick-box mentality It is probably clear by now that doing nothing is not an option. The RoI is high whichever implementation path is taken. It is now time to consider the best way to achieve the goals and how to put in place the ISMS itself.
As part of business case cost building it’s generally a build versus buy options analysis. Like the benefits / return analysis earlier this investment consideration can be done at whatever level is required for the organisation to feel confident about its decision. In the next section we look at factors to consider in build versus buy decision making.
The key considerations when building the business case for an ISMS?
- 1Building the business case for an ISMS
- 3The Challenge is Growing
- 4Three Reasons Why Nothing Happens
- 5Planning the business case for an ISMS
- 6A Point on People
- 7In Considering The Technology
- 8What is an ISMS?
- 9Understanding the Components of an ISMS
- 10The People Involved in the ISMS
- 11Why Do Organisations Need An ISMS?
- 12Is Your Organisation Leadership Ready to Support an ISMS?
- 13Developing the Business Case for an ISMS
- 14Achieving Returns from the Threats and Opportunities
- 15Stakeholder Expectations for the ISMS given their Relative Power and Interest
- 16Scoping the ISMS to Satisfy Stakeholder Interests
- 17GDPR Focused Work
- 18The Return on Investment from Information Security Management
- 19Doing Other Work for Broader Security Confidence & Assurance with Higher RoI
- 20Build or Buy – Considering the Best Way to Achieve ISMS Success
- 21The characteristics of a good technology solution for your ISMS
- 22Whether to Build or Buy the Technology Part of the ISMS
- 23The Core Competences of the Organisation, Costs and Opportunity Costs
- 24Evaluating The Threats
- 25Identifying The Opportunities
- 26Work To Get Done for ISO 27001
- 27In Conclusion